It’s easy to find your local IP address — the one your router assigns to your device and uses to communicate with it on your network. Most of the time, this will be a dynamic IP address that can change periodically. Here’s how to find your IP address of windows laptop with Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
How to Find Your Local IP Address in Windows 11
- Open the Start menu and select Settings.
- Choose Network & internet from the menu on the left, then click Properties along the top.
- You’ll find your IPv4 and IPv6 address listed here.
How to Find Your Local IP Address in Windows 10
Right-click the Windows logo in the lower-left corner of your screen and select Settings.
- Click Network & Internet.
- Select Wi-Fi or Ethernet in the left menu, depending on whether you’re connected wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable.
- Click Network (or Network and Sharing Center) in the center column. Your IP address will appear in the next window, in the entry IPv4 address.
If you’re on a Wi-Fi connection, click the Properties button below your Wi-Fi network name and scroll down to find out what your IP address is.
How to Check Your Local IP Address in Windows 8/8.1
Open the Start menu, type network, and select network connection settings.
- Click Network in the Connections menu.
- Your IP address will be shown there.
How to Get Your Local IP Address in Windows 7
Open the Start menu and click the Control Panel.
- Click View network status and tasks under the Network and Internet category.
- Click Local Area Connection.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click Details.
You’ll find your local IP address listed here under IPv4 address.
Find Your IP Address Using the Command Prompt (CMD) in Windows Laptop
You can quickly get your local IP address on your windows laptop with the Windows Command Prompt tool. It’ll show you both your IPv4 address as well as IPv6 address. Here’s how to find your IP address using CMD:
- Open the Start menu and type CMD to open the Command Prompt.
- Type ipconfig into the Command Prompt and press Enter. The tool will return a set of data that includes your IP address.
How to Find Your Local IP Address on a Mac
Open the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Open View menu and select Network, or click Network in the System Preferences window.
- Choose your network connection from the menu on the left.
- For an Ethernet or USB connection, your local IP address will be shown.
For a Wi-Fi connection, you’ll see your IP address shown under the connection status.
How to Find Your Local IP Address Using the Macos Terminal
Open the Terminal. You’ll likely find it in the Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder.
For Ethernet connections, enter the command ipconfig getifaddr en1. For Wi-Fi connections, enter the command ipconfig getifaddr en0.
To get your public IP address from the Mac Terminal, enter the command curl ifconfig.me.
How to Find Your IP Address on Android
Go to Settings and select about phone.
- Tap Status information (if you have a Samsung phone). On some Android versions, you can skip this step and simply scroll to find your IP.
- Scroll to find your IP address (both your IPv4 and IPv6 addresses).
How to Find Your IP Address on IOS
Tap the blue info icon next to your active Wi-Fi connection.
Scroll down to find your local IP address.
How to Find Your Public IP Address
The easiest way to get your public IP address is to Google it. Type in “what is my IP address” or “how to find my IP address,” and Google will tell you — though it won’t reveal you’re ISP (internet service provider) or your location.
An internet search reveals your public IP address, which is what other devices online use to communicate with you via the TCP/IP model. You won’t be able to identify your local IP address online.
Find Your Public IP Address Using the Command Prompt (CMD)
The Windows Command Prompt tool can also help you get your public IP address. Here’s how to find your external IP address with Command Prompt.
- Open the Start menu and type cmd.
- Enter the following command into the Command Prompt and press Enter:
- nslookup myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com
- Now, stop anyone else from finding your IP address
Your public IP address is how both websites and cybercriminals can find you on the internet. Sometimes that’s useful, because it means you can get personalized and localized information. But sometimes it’s tiresome or even dangerous, so it’s good to know you can make it harder to be targeted, identified, and tracked online.
The best way to stop people from finding your IP address is to use a VPN. A VPN is a simple piece of software that routes all your traffic through a third-party server, making it nearly impossible for anyone to know where you are or what your actual IP address is.
Is My IP Address Secure?
Your IP address is not secure — it’s actually public information. Just as there are tools that let you find your public IP address, there are tools that let other people find your public IP address, too. Other devices on the internet use your IP address to communicate with you.
Everything you do online is tagged with your IP address, including your emails, your online shopping activity, and your browsing history. Someone who knows your IP address can identify your general location, just as you can. This is how online ad tracking works: advertisers can feed you ads based on where you’re browsing from.
It’s hard to associate a public IP address with a particular person, and it’s usually not worth the effort. But a motivated stalker or cybercriminal might make that effort — and so may law enforcement — which is why it’s important to know how to hide your IP.
A VPN (virtual private network) is the best way to hide your public IP address and conceal your physical location. It routes your internet traffic through another server with a different IP address to give you a new IP from an entirely different part of the world, keeping your real IP address hidden and helping you browse the web anonymously.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find my IP address on my Dell windows laptop?
Click Start ->Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center. and go to Details. The IP address will display.
Does laptop have an IP address?
First, you connect your computer to the internet: Your windows laptop is given an IP address by your internet service provider (ISP) You enter the website name in the address bar in your browser – your computer sends a request for the website’s data.
What does an IP address look like?
An IP address is a string of numbers separated by periods. IP addresses are expressed as a set of four numbers — an example address might be 192.158. 1.38. Each number in the set can range from 0 to 255.
Is IP address based on Wi-Fi or device?
When using a smartphone or tablet, connecting to Wi-Fi will change both types of IP addresses compared to connecting over cellular. While on Wi-Fi, your device’s public IP will match all other computers on your network, and your router assigns a local IP.